Heli`s and joysticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heli`s and joysticks

Is it much easier flying heli`s with a joystick?

i am thinking of getting a joystick... anyone pls advise? thanks

Re: Heli`s and joysticks

I use one for flying a jet but still use the ole keyboard and mouse for flying helis.

Comment

I can't imagine trying to fly a helo with the keyboard or mouse. I bought a joystick shortly after the game and it makes it soooo much better to fly a helo. Make sure it has the twist handle for rudder and a throttle though. The ones at walmart or target are like 20 bucks and they work fine.

Comment

My fellow clanmates use keyboard (and sometimes mouse) for helos. That alone isn't news for anybody, but the thing is that they use driving wheel pedals for throttle control. Ingenious.

I find that the biggest problem using keyboard is a lack of good throttle control. Of course you can "feather" accelerate button, but it's not the same as using a joystick with a throttle wheel.

Comment

I bought a flight stick shortly after I bought the game for the sole purpose of hlying helos and jets and it's alot easier with one.

I've got the saitek cyborg evo and I'm ver happy with it, although it's a bit overkill if you're just buying the stick for one game.

Or you could get one of these:
          This website is for sale! saitekusa.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, saitekusa.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Easier with a joystick to fly a heli. If you want quicker controlled maneuvres then the joystick is for you.

Comment

i think the joystick to fly a heli is the hardest thing in the world lol i could never get the hang of it

Comment

we have 1 guy that uses a joystick, but he has one that 'twists' so that gives him the tail rotor control. I use my saitek for jets only. And I'm certain that my kb/mouse combo can handle any dogfight with any joystick helo pilot....

Comment

There is no better way to fly IMHO than with a joystick. I program a couple of the side buttons for my rudders (move left/right) - and the collective is tied to my rolling throttle.

The throttle is the key to the whole animal. Need to have a very sensitive, easy to adjust throttle. You have have perfect hovers and terrain following if you can nail your collective right all the time.

I can almost gaurantee there is no one out there with a K/M that can drop in on someone as fast as I can and hit the hover for my gunner as steady and as fast as I can with my joystick.

I have the logitech force feedback, hard to imagine flying life without it.

I am considering getting that Saitek one mentioned above - but $140 is a bit much for a stick. Although I think when mine was new it was over $150 - but I never had to pay for it - heh. The benefits of formerly working for a gaming company. :P

Comment

it's probably not going to be easy for you to go from m and kb to joystick, but it is highly recommended from an evasive maneuvers standpoint. eg joystick allows you to do barrelrolls and loops easily.

the downside is you need to constantly modulate your acceleration axis, but if your like me you set up a secondary acceleration key (space) and decel key (s) to keep the main accel axis variations to a minimum

Comment

Originally posted by ttopi
                      My fellow clanmates use keyboard (and sometimes mouse) for helos. That alone isn't news for anybody, but the thing is that they use driving wheel pedals for throttle control. Ingenious.

I find that the biggest problem using keyboard is a lack of good throttle control. Of course you can "feather" accelerate button, but it's not the same as using a joystick with a throttle wheel.
                      wow im gonna have to look into getting driving pedals for my throttle to fly jets. I do real well most of the time, but with the cream of the crop ace pilots, Its a little more of a problem.That has been my biggest concern trying to control throttle with my keyboard is pretty hard. I like using the keyboard for all the functions and buttons i can use easily while using the joystick. I never really thought about pedals, but damn that sure sounds good now

Comment

If you not looking to spend too much, I suggest getting Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Only costs about $25 and is a good joystick for the price. Good on the warranty end too; mine broke (my fault), I emailed the support and got a new one in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_Flex
                          Is it much easier flying heli`s with a joystick?

i am thinking of getting a joystick... anyone pls advise? thanks
                          Keyboard all the way if you practice a little while. Just remember to NOT over-compensate. Easy as hell.

232 points as a pilot the other day on the keyboard. That was my first time piloting an entire round.

Comment

i had about 6 of them and the best one was logitech extreme 3dpro, but if you get the Microsoft one, buy that one

Comment

logitech 3d pro

Comment

Working...
                              X